Thursday, April 1, 2010

ABS Turquoise Challenge

Again I finished just in the nick of time! I put the finishing touches on this piece today, and its deadline for contest entry is today. This is my entry to the Art Bead Scene Turquoise Challenge. The challenge was to use these four colors in anything you want, in any proportions you want.
I don't know why, but for some reason, I immediately decided to do a bead embroidered collar. The first beads I found were the turquoise pieces, and then went to town picking out the rest of the seed beads and things. Of course I used many sizes of beads(adds to the texture), 15's , 11's , 8's in seed beads, and I also used some czech glass.
It did take me a while to find the big donut in the middle, but once I saw it I knew it was the one! I think its pressed turquoise because it looks like chunks all smashed together and then polished up. Its still pretty though! Then I bezzelled 2 swarovski rivolis, one of which I placed right in the middle of the donut, the other above it.
I think the whole thing looks kind of "Aztec" or like a kaleidoscope. The colors remind me of lilacs, and summertime.
Its pretty light weight, and actually adjusts in size so it will fit every time (no matter what your shirt neckline is)! I wrestled with the idea of putting fringe on, but after a few failed attempts, I decided I was satisfied with it, even with out fringe.
Now all I need is a name for this piece. I actually find that the hardest part about making things. I usually can only come up with really silly names...
I also think I am going to enter this one in the etsy-beadweaver April challenge "light as a breeze". Its very springy, and with the right title, and story line, I think it will work! Check out the rest of the entries between April 9Th and 15Th at the etsy-beadweaver blog and pick your favorite!

6 comments:

Bobbi Ann said...

Hi Gretchen, Wowww! I'm sitting here looking at my monitor and I'm just amazed...it's gorgeous, it's exquisite, it's absolutely incredible and I love this piece! Wowww! yep, I'm just amazed!
I hope that you have a wonderful day and a beautiful Easter!
Hugs and happy beading...
Bobbi

Lisa Crone said...

Are you serious? I mean, (and I am sorry for repeating what Bobbi said), WOW!! This is amazing...Incredible work!!

Lynn said...

Not to sound like a broken record, but ..... WoW! I love this! The first thing that popped into my head was a carousel. Fun, playful, happy. What a great piece!

Beadwoman3 said...

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it! Somewhere in the middle of making it, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but by the time I finished, I was satisfied with how it turned out. I managed to be a finalist in the challenge, but not first place. Check out all the entries, and the beautiful winning piece at the Art Bead Scene blog...

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

I think this piece is incredible Gretchen! It does have an Aztec look. It must have taken you forever to complete. It is a real beauty!

Saje said...

Hello all the way from Miami!!!
Wow!! your work is amazing. Its colorful details brightens out the art.