Friday, November 2, 2007

What gives?

Okay, well it has been about a week since my last post. I still don't think anyone has even looked at this blog, let alone can even find it. I read somewhere that in order for Google to even hit on something it has to have a minimum of 250 words. I don't know if this is true or not, but I am sitting here trying to add more words so maybe I will be easier to find.
I have been continuing work at the bead store, and just dealing with all the comments that people are making about the store closing. I have been beading for approximately 22 years, and am shocked that people keep asking me whether beads are actually a profitable business. Of course they are!! Beads have been around since the dawn of time. Humans never get tired of trying to adorn themselves and make themselves stand out from a crowd, be it jewelry, tattoos, piercings, etc. The owner of the bead store I work at just doesn't seem to have a business head on him, or maybe he is just giving up. I wish there was something I could do to convince him to hang in there, but it is to late, and he is hanging up his towel(or something like that). If I had the time, I would consider opening a small store of my own, but with 2 young children (Xavier age 7, and Aiden age 4) I don't feel I have the time to put into a business yet. I still have feel I need to put the most time into my guys while they are little ( Aiden is still in preschool, and only half day at that). I am still wondering whether an Internet venture is that right way to go. A book I read recently suggests that all artist should have their own web page, but if it cant be found, what good is it? What makes a web page worth visiting? And as an artist, do you just show your work? Or do you have to try selling it over the Internet also? I happen to live in a town where there is not a good market for the type of jewelry that I like to make. It is a small town in Michigan, and Michigan's economy is not doing all that well. People do not have the same sort of disposable income that the rest of the country seems to have right now. So how do I get my product to a market that will buy it? I don't travel much, so that isn't really an option. I wish someone would just find this blog and give me their 2 cents worth. I need input, and I am hoping someone out there might be kind enough to give me some. So this is my plea....please respond if you read this. I am starting to get kind of lonely here all by myself.

No comments: